Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

What Was Once Old Is Now New

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' “ Isaac Asimov

A few years before my grandmother passed away she began making quilt tops—lots of quilt tops.  At the time I was just learning to machine quilt so I practiced my quilting techniques on her tops.  That was over 15 years ago and I still have a few of her tops that haven’t been quilted.  This one was in my April UFO Parade and I’m happy to say that it is now finished.  This is the second finish on my list—only nine more to go!  Of course that’s just one stack of UFO’s.  There are many, many more stacks!!

Gma-1

As I was editing the photograph, I thought, “that’s funny” this quilt almost looks like a “modern quilt”.  It has a simple, clean design, lots of white background and includes a taupe-y gray fabric.  When my grandmother made it dark, country colors were popular and this looked very dated.  Now I think it’s current again.  I still have some dusty pink and blue UFO as well as a peach and green one.  They may need to age a bit more before they look “modern.”  Haha!!

Charm Square Winner Update:  This morning the random generator picked #14 as the winner in Marmalade Charm Square giveaway.  The #14 comment from Monday’s post was Lea.  There isn’t an email address in her profile, so Lea, please email your address to me and I’ll get your charm squares in the mail right away.

2 comments:

  1. I love that quilt. It is so traditional, yet the colors give it a modern feel. Good finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt and it does look very modern! your grandma was ahead of her time :).

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")