Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tools of the Trade-Hand Sewing Needles

Earlier today I started hand sewing the binding on one of my quilts from April’s UFO Parade.  I picked up a spool of thread that already had a needle in it and used that needles.  It was like trying to sew with a spike!  After sewing just one length of thread my hand hurt so I went to my sewing room and got a pack of my favorite needles:  Hemming Size 10 Crewel. 

Hemming needles

These needles have a large eye for easy threading, have a sharp point and just glide through the fabric.  This is a comparison between the needle I was using (the one with thread) and the Hemming.  There is a big difference in diameter. 

hand needles

Over the years I’ve heard many quilters remark that they don’t like hand stitching the binding.  Maybe they just need to find the right needle.  I encourage to try a few different needles and find one that you like.  The easier it goes through fabric, the less hand fatigue you’ll have as you finish up your quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")