Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Design Wall Monday-Scrappy Rails

“You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”  Jack London

For quilters this quote needs to be changed from “club” to “rotary cutter.”  I try to come up with a stashbusting quilt each month for my sewing group.  My inspiration kind of hit a road block this month and the original design needs more work so I pieced this simple block.  

rail chain-8

If every other block is turned 90 degrees diagonal chains form.  This kind of quilt doesn’t really require borders so I think I’ll just make blocks, set them together and call it a day.  I’ll probably end up making 63 blocks and set them 7 x 9.  They are 10” blocks so it will be end up large twin or regular full-size—a good size for the emergency shelter.  For some reason, I just can’t get the color right on the photos.  Then chain fabric is not nearly as pink as it looks here.  Oh well, you get the idea. 
Be sure to check out all the other great projects at Patchwork Times.
Technorati Tags: ,

rail chain-9

Here are instructions for the block.  I’m using leftover strips so it’s hard to say exactly how much yardage you’ll need.  It will also depend on how many blocks you are making.  It takes a little more than one strip to make a block.  For a quilt the size I’m making (70 x 90) you would need about 80 strips.  You also need 1-1/2 yards of chain fabric and about 3/4 yard for binding.

For each block cut the following from assorted 2-1/2” strips:
Two 2-1/2” x 8-1/2” rectangles (A)
Two 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” rectangles (B)
Two 2-1/2” x 4-1/2” rectangles (C)
Two 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” squares (D)
You will also need five 2-1/2” squares of the chain fabric for each block. €

rail chain-1

Sewing for one block:
1.  Sew a square of chain fabric to 8-1/2” rectangles.  Press toward the chain fabric.  Make 2

rail chain-2

2.  Sew a 2-1/2” square of print fabric to a 2-1/2” square of chain fabric.  Sew a 4-1/2 rectangle to the other end of the chain fabric. Press both seams toward chain fabric. Make 2.

rail chain-3

3.  Sew 4-1/2” rectangles to a chain square.  Press both seams toward chain fabric. Make 1

rail chain-4

4.  Sew the units from step 1 to the units from step 2. Make 2

rail chain-5

5.  Rotate one of these units 180 degrees (flip it upside down).

rail chain-6

6.  Sew the unit from step 3 in the middle of these units.  Press seams to one side.

rail chain-7


7 comments:

  1. Great tutorial and great block. Anytime you can get rid of, I mean use up some scraps, that's a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That block would look great in any color scheme. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* this block. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahah!! Another pattern to add to my stash busting group. No background--makes it a keeper. I can see this being strip pieced. Thanks Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those are striking!!! bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I would like to subscribe for this web site to obtain most recent
    updates, thus where can i do it please assist.

    Also visit my homepage :: click here

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")