Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pillowcases for the Guys

Before Jen left to go back to school we made a trip to the quilt shop so she could get fabric for a few projects.  While we were there she saw this moose fabric and wanted to make a pillowcase for her boyfriend from it.  She ran out of time so I ended up making it.

Moose Pillowcase

We also found some “anatomy” fabric at the quilt shop and I couldn’t resist buying it to make a pillowcase for Bryan.  Being a med school student I’m sure he already sees skeletons in his sleep so this fabric is perfect because the bones glow in the dark! 

Bones Pillowcase

Over the years I’ve made a bunch of pillowcases but this one was a challenge.  The fabric is directional so I needed twice as much as usual to make it.  Then I realized that if I only used one seam in the body the print would be upside down on the back.  So there is a seam on both the top and bottom.  I had also selected a stripe to use for a contrasting flange and IT went in the wrong direction.  It would be a really expensive pillowcase to buy 1-1/4 yards of fabric to get a 2” strip going in the right direction so I just skipped it.  I made this more as a joke than anything else so I couldn’t justify any more time and expense.  I hope Bryan thinks it's funny!

I should be spending all day today sewing but I’m just not feeling inspired.  I have a couple of tablerunners cut out and ready to sew and maybe piecing them will get the mojo going again.  I sure hate to waste a free day!

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

  1. Love the pillowcases Rhonda.......especially the one for Bryan. It's fun to make things for a joke as long as they won't toss it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")