Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

DWM: Quilting Ohio Stars

This isn’t on my design wall, but it’s on the quilting frame and I’m trying to come up with a nice design to quilt in the Ohio Star blocks.  This is a UFO I recently found and it’s big--close to 100” square.  I quilted overall swirly ribbons in the sashing strips and cornerstone blocks.  Only the star blocks remain and I’d like to do a little custom quilting in them.  When I was quilting on my DSM, I would quilt continuous curves on blocks like these but I’m not sure my skills are good enough to do that on the big machine.  I need to come up with something that’s a little more forgiving. Haha!

Ohio-Star-quilting

I spent a little time with the whiteboard and I think I’ll try this (fortunately I can quilt better than I can draw!!).  It looks like it should be pretty easy and will carry out the ribbon theme that’s in the sashing.  I think it will really add a lot if I do continuous curves in the hourglass units so maybe I’ll give it a try.  There’s only one way to get better.

Ohio-Star-quilting-ideas

For more inspiration be sure to check out the other design wall links at Patchwork Times.

Technorati Tags: ,,

6 comments:

  1. You found the right attitude, there is only one way to get better...just do it. And I know what it is like to quilt better than you can draw. If my drawing was the measure of my quilting I would be sending my quilts out. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great plan. I love the little swirls in the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern. I just took a lesson on free motion quilting, but wish I had a long-arm. Would probably just kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also quilt better than I draw but I think your plan looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Ohio stars look good so far. I like your planned drawing and it really does tie in with the sashing designs. It's a toss up which I do better -- draw or quilt the drawing. I'm not sure there is much difference yet. But I know, practice, practice, practice will make me better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is for the Wacky 9 Patch quilt you made. I cut out fabric of my own choice, sewed it like your tutorial, and it looks great. I haven't finished sewing into rows yet, but I ended up with 52 blocks, and still have fabric left to make a few more blocks if I decide to make it bigger. I may add a border after I've done the rows.
    THANK YOU so very much for inspiring me. As I wait for my house to be shown, I needed some simple sewing to work on and keep my mind on enjoying the blocks as I cut and sew each one. It has been good to not let my mind worry as I wait for the buyer who will love my home and have it for their own.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")