Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

DWM: Double Nine Patch

I love nine patch quilts and have been wanting to make a double nine patch for quite awhile.  My original plan was to make a scrappy one, but then I saw this fabric and decided to just do a simple one with four fabrics.  The fabric is Moda’s Wintergreen by 3 Sisters.  The nine patches are going to be red and tan.  I have two black fabrics for alternate blocks, setting triangles and the border.  My original plan was to use the large black print for the alternate blocks and outer border and use the small print for the setting triangles.  The blocks will be set on point and as I was cutting the fabric I saw that the large print is directional and has flower stems and birds.  I think it might bother me to have these directional elements going in the wrong direction.  I’m really bummed because I had a certain plan in my head and I’m not sure it’s going to work out.

I cut a few blocks of both fabrics and auditioned them. 

D9P-1

D9P-2

Since it’s such a simple quilt, the fabric will really make or break it.  I guess I’ll do a little more piecing and then decide, but right now I sure like the large print better.

Check out what everyone else is working on at Patchwork Times.

Technorati Tags: ,,

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting... for me the focus with the smaller print fabric is the double nine patches, while the focus with the larger print fabric is the larger print fabric. Both look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you fussy cut the directional black so that the birds are the way you'd like??
    I like your idea and it looks great from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Rhonda.........Pat sent me an email about your blog. We talked about it last Thursday at your home...I started reading it and I know I will enjoy it because I always like the quilts you create. I like the larger print you have pictured with your ninepatches. Have a great day.......MPea

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers in picture #2 look better to me. They area bit dark and maybe that is what is bothering you. I love the chains the double nine patch makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute nine patches, good luck with choosing a fabric for the alternate block!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")