Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Note to self: read instructions first!

I’ve been quilting a LONG time and over that length of time I’ve found methods for piecing that work best for me. All along, I’ve taken classes from many, many different teachers and have learned lots of different techniques.  I’m almost always willing to try new things in an effort to increase speed and accuracy in my piecing.  So usually before I cut a new project I look at the instructions to see if I plan to piece it according to the pattern or use a different methods. 

This morning I finished piecing the blocks for the quilt I’m currently working on and pulled out the pattern to see how the blocks are to be set together. The blocks are rectangular instead of square and they are set in vertical rows. I had a bunch of extra strips cut so I also checked to see where they are supposed to go.  It was very disheartening to find out that instead of sewing the blocks together into rows and adding sashing, this pattern called for you to add a little sashing strip to every block and then sew the rows together.  That means there are 54 more seams in this top than is necessary.  It would have been SO much faster to piece the rows—well actually the columns and then sew a strip of sashing between each column.  Fortunately, I had some extra sewing time this morning and I almost have the top together so that tedious process is just about behind me.  It is a reminder though, to always read through the pattern before cutting!! 

This is a picture of the top so far—obviously before it has been pressed.

off track piecing

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your extra work, but I had to chuckle. I've done the exact same thing! Like you, I've years of quilting under my belt and avidly take classes and try new techniques. I'm much more cautious now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohboy. I'm working on this EXACT pattern, and I'm struggling with the exact issue. I get why its designed this way, since you would have to cut the strips LOF to get them without any seams, and it would be way more fabric, but ONE seam per sashing would be better than so many. It is a cute pattern tho, and easy enough to do for a beginning quilter. But I'm not looking forward to all those seams :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")