Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Design Wall Monday: Athena’s Puzzle

Yesterday I started cleaning my sewing room.  Over the winter too much junk has accumulated in there and it’s time to get rid of things, put stuff away and get a little better organized.  In the process of doing so I found these blocks.  They are made from Heather Bailey prints from a pattern called Athena’s Puzzle by Blue Underground Studio.  It’s a fun little log cabin variation.

Athenas Puzzle

The blocks are all pieced but the project was derailed when I couldn’t decide on the border.  There is a diagonal stripe in the line that would make a great inner border.

stripe 1

However, when I started to cut the border I realized the stripe goes the “wrong” way.  If I want that great diagonal (left), there would be seams every 18” since I only have a half yard of the fabric.  If I cut it the other way, across the width of fabric, the stripe doesn’t work, it’s more a zigzag (right). 

Stripe 4

In the big scheme of things, it probably doesn’t matter.  I just need to get in there, cut it and GET THIS  FINISHED!!

Be sure to check out all the other great projects in process at Patchwork Times.

11 comments:

  1. These are fun blocks!
    Isn't it funny how the border decisions can totally derail a great project?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the zig zag would add a lot of interest to the border for those blocks. They kind of remind me ofa maze and the zig zag would be like arrows pointing one way and then another. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that fabric would look great either way. I frequently have the same problem with border decisions bringing a project to a screeching halt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blocks. Either binding will be great on the quilt.
    Jane
    www.jinglebell440.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blocks....the old snail's trail variation. Brings back memories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It won't work in the non-zig-zag version, because half your stripes will be going the other way. I suppose if they were on 2 different sides it wouldn't matter...

    ReplyDelete
  7. great block!! I like the binding choice, but I see what you mean about the zig-zag. Although you're right that it probably won't be noticed by anyone else, but if you're like me, those little things will bother you long after the quilt is finished. Best to be happy with it from the start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks - it will be fun to see how you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great blocks. Love the color. I agree...just finish it. Looking forward to seeing that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the citrus colors. I think that fabric would be great as binding instead of the a border.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")