Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

It Used To Be Fun To Fly

Here’s the laugh for today.

Remember when it used to be fun to fly?  It was such an event that we would even plan what we would wear on the plane.  It didn’t matter how much luggage you brought because it was all checked for free.  A most professional, well-groomed “stewardess” would bring drinks and a meal while you watched a movie and relaxed.  Now, most people wouldn’t even walk to the mailbox looking as sloppy and unkempt as the flight attendants (both male and female) were on my last trip.  I’m not ripping on the flight attendants, I’m just pointing out a decline in service and professionalism further exacerbated by no meal service, crowded cabins, dirty planes, trash left from previous flights and fees for everything from checked bags to headphones.

Why I even bring this up is that I received an email this morning from Frontier Airlines listing their further reduction in service.  I wasn’t sure that was even possible, but apparently it is.  It was totally laughable.  For example, if you book your flight through Expedia, Travelocity or another third party you may no longer use an overhead bin for free.  You will pay for that privilege although the email does not specify what the charge will be.  By booking through the third party, you will also receive only 25% of actual miles flown for frequent flier points.  Everyone who flies what is called “Basic” or “Economy” will pay $1.99 for coffee or soda.  The email made a point of the fact that you will now get a full can of soda.  Probably the funniest thing about this new policy will be enforced by the flight attendant who will check your boarding pass to determine that you paid enough for your flight to be entitled to that $1.99 soda.  You just can’t make this stuff up. 

Of course, all the other airlines will follow suit of these service reductions so it probably won’t help to boycott Frontier.  I just hope my weight loss plan succeeds so I can wear four sets of clothes at once and still fit in the little coach seat in order to avoid paying the overhead bin fee!  Like I said, it used to be fun.  I’m just glad I don’t have to travel for work. 

So I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to join the Sunny Side Up Quilt Along at Patchwork Times.  I don’t really need another project, but I like the quilt and I LOVE pieced borders. A color theme didn’t occur to me until this morning when I thought about making it red and green for Christmas.  I have plenty of both colors in my scrap bins and when it’s all finished there will be about 15 yards less in my stash.  With the fabric selection made, the Part 1 instructions being posted today and a free day to sew since Jim is volunteering on a church project I’m ready to jump in.  Here are the fabrics I’ll use for the chains.  Now I can’t wait to start!

SSU fabric

2 comments:

  1. I quit flying to my daughters home in Seattle and now relax and take the train! It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, green is my favorite color! I would suggest moving your patronage to Southwest Airlines if they fly anywhere reachable near you. 2 bags are still no charge, the customer service is fabulous, and the sense of humor is enough to disarm Scrooge. If I were willing to fly still, that's the only airline I'd use. The airport hassle isn't worth it to me any more.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")