Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

First project completed from “the box”

In the box of fabric I found last week there was flannel for some pillowcases.  I made two of the cases and had a little “design opportunity” on one of them.  As I was cutting the main fabric for the body of the pillowcase I found a flaw near the edge of the fabric.  Since it was only about an inch in I just cut it off.

2-28-13 pillowcase-1

After I had the cuff sewn on and was pressing it, I saw another flaw in the fabric.  I was tempted to just pitch it but that little lamb print is just too cute and it seemed a shame to waste it.  The easiest way I could think of to fix it was to applique a little heart over the hole.  It turned out just fine!

2-28-13 pillowcase-5

I simply fused a heart from the same fabric that I used on the flange (trim) and sewed it down using a fairly tight zigzag stitch.  I’m liking the zigzag better for machine applique than the blanket stitch I used to use.  I think it’s more durable and looks nice when you match the thread to the applique.

Here are the finished pillowcases.  I’ve made so many of these over the years.  We pretty much only use these handmade pillowcases at our house.  They are so easy and pretty.  You can match your quilts or make seasonal or holiday pillowcases.  They make great gifts and charitable organizations like homeless shelters can always use them.  They’re quick, fun and everyone seems to like them.  If you’ve never made these, you’ll think the way they’re constructed is magic!  All the seams are enclosed and the way the flange is made is very clever.  Just google “burrito” or “hotdog” pillowcase and a bunch of good tutorials will come up.  I like this one because the instructions are really clear but there are many other along with several you tube videos. http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2012/11/pillowcase-tutorial-burrito-style.html

2-28-13 pillowcase-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")