Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Bonus Triangle Project

In an earlier post I mentioned an idea I had for using the bonus triangles leftover from my Pineapple Blossom quilt.  I had 96 half-square triangles to use and came up with this.

bonus-2

I debated whether or not to add a border of the print fabric on the top and bottom but this was already kind of long and skinny so decided the border made it look too disproportionate.  Anyway, this meets the size requirements for Quilts Beyond Borders and would make a nice donation quilt.

It was very easy to make.  I simply sewed the triangle squares together in a zigzag strip.  To make the piecing easier I sewed the aqua border strips to the print strips before sewing them to the zigzag strips.  The aqua strips were cut 1-1/2” wide and the print was cut 3-1/2” wide.

bonus strip-1

The half-square triangle blocks were an odd size since they were cut from the corners of the Pineapple Blossom blocks.  It didn’t matter what size they were because they were all the same.  I explained how I cut them here.  I laid all three strips out and they were within 1/8” of being the same length.  Yaay!

I then matched and pinned the cut end of the sashing strips with the zigzag strips

bonus strip-2

and cut four of them the same length.

bonus strip-3

It was then a simple matter to sew the sashing strips to the zigzag strips.  After pressing toward the sashing strips I measured the width of the quilt top and cut two more 1-1/2” strips of the aqua to this measurement and sewed them to the top and bottom.

Voila!  This easy project is now in the queue for quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for ways to use up a bunch of left over HST's. Great idea. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")