Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Finish #2 from the “box of stuff”

This quilt started out as a jelly roll of strips.  I’m not sure where I picked this up but it was during my road trip last fall. I got a couple of these rolls and some fat quarter packs to use for donation quilts.  They were a bargain, but don’t have the variety of fabrics that most jelly rolls have.  I wanted to make this twin size so I added a few strips from stash and added extra border on the top and bottom to make it a little longer.  Overall, I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Rose-Lime Rail Fence

Most of the blocks are rail fence blocks but I didn’t want to waste any fabric (or have any leftover) so I used the ends of the strip set to make some 16-patch blocks to mix in.  I quilted it in an overall swirl and crescent design.  I used Signature thread in Latte and I love how it looks on the brown sashing—like caramel on chocolate!

Rose-Lime Rail Fence-detail

When finishing quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders they request that binding be completely sewn by machine (front and back).  I had only done this a couple of times before but since doing it several times now I’m happy with the results and plan to do this on all my donation quilts from now on.  I can finish them faster and they will be more durable for heavy use and laundering.

Here’s a quick tutorial on how I make the binding.

First, trim the extra batting and binding close to the edge of the quilt.  I leave about 1/8” extra all the way around the quilt.

After preparing the binding strips, sew the binding to the BACK of the quilt using a 1/4” seam from the edge of the binding.

binding tut-1

When you get to the corner, miter the same as you would if you were sewing it to the front.

binding tut-2

After the binding is sewn completely around the quilt, turn the quilt over and bring the binding around to the front.  Match the top thread to the binding and the bobbin to the back.  Top stitch the binding on the front of the quilt.  I pull it around so it’s slightly to the left of the seam line.  Sew slowly so you catch the binding and can hold it in place while you stitch.  I use a stiletto to hold it down all the way to the needle.  That way it stays nice and straight!

binding tut-3

When you get to the corner, pull the bottom up first, then fold the right side over to make the miter.  Then hold it in place with the stiletto until you sew it down.

binding tut-4

Continue all the way around the quilt, then celebrate a finished quilt!!
Here’s what it looks like on the front when you’re finished:
binding tut-5


And here’s the back.
binding tut-6

It looks pretty good!  I enjoy hand stitching the binding down, but this is a real time saver when trying to get quilts ready for donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")