Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Starting the Quilting Marathon

When I made the “Get it Done” list for July I noticed that there were several tops to be quilted so yesterday I started the quilting marathon.  I hope I can quilt and machine sew the binding onto at least eight quilts in the next 10 days.  We’ll be heading to Michigan for a few days with Jim’s siblings at Magician Lake and it would be nice to have lots of hand sewing for the car ride and sitting in the evening.  I just picked up the latest Jodi Picoult book Storyteller on Playaway at the library so that will give me 18.25 hours of listening while I quilt.

These first two projects are for Quilts Beyond Borders.  The bindings have to be stitched entirely by machine so I won’t have any hand sewing on them.  For this one I just quilted swirls.  This seems to be my go-to design.  I can do it quickly and there’s not much thinking involved.  It’s hard to get “trapped” where you can’t stitch your way out of a section or corner.

QBB-1-a

Here is a close-up of the quilting—it’s so easy to do!

QBB-1-b

These quilts come to me already pieced with the backing and binding provided.  I just add batting, do the quilting then machine sew the binding.  This one had a rayon challis backing and I was so afraid the tension wouldn’t be good on the back.  Thankfully, it worked out just fine.  I used Superior Omni in the bobbin and a yellow/gold variegated King Tut on top.  The backing fabric is really pretty and coordinates very well with the front!

QBB-1-c

For the second one I quilted an overall “water” pattern.  Again it was easy and went pretty quickly. 

QBB-2-a

And a close-up of quilting:

QBB-2-b

This one had a cotton backing.  I used Omni in the bobbin for this one too but Signature cotton on top.  Both combinations worked well and I didn’t have any tension issues.  Gotta love that!!

QBB-2-c

The next one is loaded and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")