Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Quilts Beyond Borders 3, 4, 5 & 6 Finished!

I quilted two of these a week or so ago, but last Saturday I got busy and quilted the other two and sewed the bindings on all four.  They are now ready to be shipped out and sent to their final destination where they will bless some child who has very little in the way of physical possessions.

These were pieced by other people and sent to me along with the backing and binding fabrics.  I just did the quilting and sewed on the binding.  They provide a nice opportunity to experiment with new quilting designs, techniques or threads.  Even though I “practice” on them, they turn out pretty well.

Number three was simply quilted with an overall meander.  I just couldn’t find any inspiration for a quilting design for this one.  Of course, now that I’m looking at the picture it would have been nice to quilt feathers in the corner triangles of the blocks.  Wow!  Writing that just gave me the idea that I should maybe photograph the quilt top  and study the picture a little bit before deciding on a quilting design.  I used a variegated King Tut thread on top (Omni in the bobbin) and the thicker thread gave it a nice texture.

QBB-3-a

Close-up of the quilting:

QBB-3-b

Number four was quilted with my go-to design Overall Swirls.  Usually when I can’t come up with a quilting design I use a variation of this.  I think it looks pretty good on most quilts especially when the fabrics are solids or subtle prints.  The quilting really stands out on this one.  I used a variegated blue Maxi-Lock thread on this one. 

QBB-4-a

Close-up of the quilting. 

QBB-4-b

Quilt number five had overall quilting in a freehand random design—lots of feathers, swirls and curls.  It was quilted with Signature thread on top.

QBB-5-a

Close-up of the quilting.

QBB-5-b

Number six was quilted with an edge-to-edge pantograph, Jilly by Keryn Emmerson. What was I thinking using a linear panto with a horizontal strippy quilt?  Fortunately I was able to keep it pretty straight.  I really like this simple strip quilt and may have to make one (or more!) with some of my scraps.  The solid strips make it more interesting than most of the quilts I’ve seen with similar designs.

QBB-6-a

Close-up of the quilting.

QBB-6-b

I liked the Jilly panto so much I loaded one of my quilts on the frame right away and am using it again.  It’s simple and pretty fast to quilt.

If you’d like more information on Quilts Beyond Borders, check out their blog/website here.

3 comments:

  1. Good job on quilting these up! I really like the swirl design on the orange, blue quilt. Very pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on quilting these up! I really like the swirl design on the orange, blue quilt. Very pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job on the quilting, Rhonda! It's been a very long time since I've done an E2E ... without using a panto or a planned custom. You've ispired me once again, and I think it's time I do one! Also, I canNOT believe how many quilts you are able to crank out in such a short time! You really DO have a 30-hour day, don't you!!
    Pat in Appleton

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")