Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sew Inspired: Quilting Friends

For some time I’ve been working on a series of posts on people who have inspired my quilting.  Then when I heard about the recent death of Mary Ellen Hopkins who was a huge inspiration to me I decided to move this project to the front burner.  I’m working on a Mary Ellen Hopkins quilt that I started at a retreat several years ago so when I finish it I’ll write a tribute to her. This post though, is about a fabulous group of women who constantly motivate me.  Just knowing that our meeting is coming up gives me the kick in the pants I need to finish projects.

Our meeting day on the second Thursday has long been my favorite day of the month.   We started as an “International Mystery” club when I had the quilt shop.  After the shop closed we’ve continued meeting at my house.  Our group has 12 members who regularly attend and a couple more who come when they can get off work.  Amazingly, in the many years we’ve been meeting, only one member has dropped out and that was because she moved to California! 

Each year we select a book with a variety of patterns that call for strips or stash and make a quilt from it each month.  I don’t think any of us has every worked through an entire book but several have made almost everything from Scrap Basket Surprises; still one of my very favorite books.

Last week was our “quilt show” where we each bring projects and hang them on the back fence and end with a potluck lunch.  Our theme was to bring a finished quilt that had been a UFO at last July’s quilt show along with our most recent finished quilt. I think everyone gets really motivated to finish something for the “show.”  We didn’t select a theme for next year, but I have a Christmas UFO that has been aging for a long time so maybe it will be Christmas quilts! 

Quilt Show Collage

Every member of this group is such an accomplished quilter I am humbled to be included.  I couldn’t begin to guess how many thousands of quilts and other quilty projects we’ve made between us. The show and tell every month is so inspiring I always come away wanting to start another quilt! Our meetings are always fun with lots of talking, laughing and eating. 

If you don’t currently sew with a small group I would really encourage you to start one.  In addition to being a lot of fun, it can be a wealth of information. We help each other with difficult projects and give ideas to make works in progress even better. I think we have the best quilting group ever and I really look forward to every meeting. Not only have these women made me a better quilter, the friendships have enriched my life beyond measure.  Thanks to each and every one of these women for being such an inspiration!

Group photo

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

  1. (I'm not really anonymous ... I just wasn't able to get my name in correctly.)
    No, Rhonda! YOU are the inspiration to us! I'm so happy to be a member of the Scrap Basket Quilters and look forward to getting together the second Thursdays! What Rhonda isn't telling you is that each month she (all by herself) prepares a delicious meal for us on these Thursdays. If you think she's an excellent quilter, well, she's a terrific cook too!
    Today, I was inspired by this blog to tidy up my sewing room (no small task!) and get to finishing up the projects that were lying about. I finished one project that was close to finished, machine applied binding to another, and am working on sewing rows together on another. See, you ARE my inspiration!
    What Rhonda also isn't telling you (nor does she tell us) is about how she has a 30-hour day. Either that or she doesn't sleep! She makes a gazillion quilts each month, volunteers at our local emergency shelter and food pantry, works part time, is a terrific wife and mother, and is a wonderful friend who is always doing thoughtful things for others.
    I so enjoy your blog, Rhonda, and look forward to each post!
    Pat in Appleton, WI

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")