Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

One Mile Challenge: May 2013 Update

May was kind of a good news/bad news month as far as my personal challenge to sew one mile (1,760 yards) of fabric from my stash. The bad news is that I only finished four quilts.  The good news is that they were pretty big quilts so they used quite a bit of fabric. 

Completed in May were:  Christmas Falling Charms-7 yards, Bright Rails and Chain-9 yards, Scrappy Pinwheels-12 yards and the huge Half and Half quilt I finished yesterday-19 yards.  That’s a total of 47 yards used in May bringing the total to 197 yards.  Only 1,563 left to go! I wish I had finished one more thing so I could have gone over 200 yards used.  I was hoping to reach my goal in 2 years but at the rate I’m going it will be three years.  Oh well, it’s a lot of fabric out of stash—can’t wait to see what I’ll have left!

Here’s a picture of the completed Half and Half quilt.  It measures 94” x 102.”  I’m going to donate it but I’m not sure where yet since it’s so big.  The quilt center was made entirely from 2-1/2” strips out of my scrap bins (see yesterday’s post!!) and all the rest from stash.  This quilt was in my April UFO parade so I can cross another old UFO off that list!

 Half and Half

I quilted the center in overall crescents and swirls, the inner border with a little wave, and feathers in the outer border.

Half and Half-quilting

You can see by this close-up of the fabrics that I used anything and everything in this quilt.  Check out the stripes, the bright blue and the purple fabrics.  Somehow when you put everything together it works. This is such a quick and easy quilt to make I already have fat quarters pulled for another one!  That one won’t be as scrappy.

Half and Half-closeup

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rhonda - Saw a post by you in Stashbusters and I mossied over here to your blog. Wow....you are a prolific quilter! Could you possible share some abbreviated instructions of the half and half blocks? Thanks, Beth in AL

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")