Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quilts Beyond Borders-Finished Quilts

Quilting is my therapy and I love making quilts but I have more quilts in my home than I could every possibly need.  So now, most of the quilts I make are for charity, for gifts or to sell on Etsy to fund other charitable endeavors.  This week I quilted and bound three quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders.  They send the quilt top, back and binding.  I just have to add batting then quilt and bind them.  They require the binding to be finished by machine and when I first started quilting for them I was very apprehensive about that.  Now I’m better at it and am pretty happy with how it looks.  I do a better job when I sew the binding to the back first, then turn it to the front and topstitch it down.  The next time I do a binding like this I’ll take photos and do a little tutorial.  Here are the three quilts I finished.

QBB-1

I really liked this quilt. It was made of simple squares and rectangles with narrow sashing between the blocks.  The design was very effective and it looked great made in the homespun plaids.  I quilted each block with continuous squares (or rectangles)—very simple but it looks nice.

QBB-2

This is a very sweet quilt.  The flower blocks look like antiques.  They are hand appliqued and the flowers are made from feed sacks.  The alternate blocks are a cute birdhouse print.  I outline quilted the flowers and stippled the background.  I used a simple continuous design in the alternate blocks and meandered the borders.

QBB-3

This is a simple, fun quilt made of bright squares in fuchsia and aqua print fabrics. It is quilted with overall swirls.

1 comment:

  1. Im new to sewing/quilting. I found you after hearing about quilts without borders. I can't believe how many quilts you have finished already. I've made 2 and they took me way too long. I have too much fabric now to give up but I'm stuck....anyway I'd be interested to see machine binding tips. I was told, no, no, never do it.....
    ......But I see my daughters quilt is already coming undone. It's only 1 yr old and never been washed. Hours upon hours went into it. ( I did front side of binding by hand. I thought I did we'll, but I guess not. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")