Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Swoon finished

I was just too tired to post after working yesterday.  I finished the Swoon quilt and it’s now hanging at Keep Me In Stitches. 

2012-10-16 15.54.48

This isn’t the best picture but you get the idea.    The stripes really stand out in the photo but they’re really not that prominent.  I’ll take a better picture when I get it back.  It’s made from the Vintage Modern line of fabric by Bonnie and Camille from Moda.  I quilted it in an overall freehand design with Quilters Choice thread.  This thread really works well for me.  It’s a fine thread so it creates subtle texture and blends in well when you quilt light thread over darker fabric, has minimal lint since it’s polyester and I don’t have a problem with breaking or shredding.  All the kits and most of the fabric is now gone so I should be able to bring it home soon.

This morning I had a little bit of time to sew so I worked on the Piebirds blocks.  Hooray! They’re finished!

2012-10-16 11.58.45

The inspiration for these blocks was the book Simple Charm by Kim Diehl.  She made a table runner using these blocks.  I love the block and wanted to make a whole quilt with it.  I have 20 blocks made.  I redrafted the pattern I didn’t have a seam in the middle of the “flying geese” units.  I’m so glad I learned to cut trapezoids from Debbie Caffrey’s book Open A Can of Worms.  Blocks like this can be made so much easier!  This method also eliminates connector corners.  I try to avoid those whenever possible because I hate dealing with the leftover corners.  It’s really too putzy for me to sew another seam to make half-square triangles but I also hate to just throw them away.  So I try to just use techniques where the angles are cut to fit.  SO much easier!

I started sewing the top together, but haven’t quite finished it.  I’m hoping to at least get that finished tomorrow but my book club is meeting here tomorrow night and I have to get ready for that.  We read The Light Between Oceans this month.  I really liked this selection and it’s the kind of book that should generate some good discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")