Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Time-saving cutting tip #2

In my last post I wrote about how much time I save using the Shape Cut ruler.  The real time-saver comes when cutting strips into squares or rectangles. I stack strips on top of one another so I’m cutting four or six layers.  If I had lots of strips to cut into squares I would lay out several sets of strips.  I’ll show a picture of that next time I cut them.  For today, I’m still working on the Coquette quilts and I just need a few more squares. 

shapecutstrip-2

Since my project requires 2-1/2” squares, I started on the left side and cut on the 0, 2-1/2, 5, 7-1/2, 10, 12-1/2, 15 and 17-1/2” slots.  I also cut at the end of the ruler because it is 2” between the 18” slot and the edge.  In a matter of seconds I ended up with 32 2-1/2” squares. 

shapecutstrip-1

It is SO fast and easy.  If you have this ruler and aren’t using it, I really encourage you to give it a try.  If you don’t have it, check your local quilt shop or Joann Fabrics and get one.  I’m sure you’ll soon love it as much as I do!

The Coquette quilts are coming along nicely.  I have three of the tops pieced and two more with blocks made.  Hopefully I’ll have time to get the borders on and start quilting them next week.  I have to work on both Friday and Tuesday so that seriously cuts into my sewing time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and like to respond to them. If you don't receive a response from me it's probably because your preferences are set as "no-reply comment." If you would like to receive responses to your comments, leave an email address or you can change your preferences in the User Profile on Blogger (just check "show my email address")